Visa Student in Spain

We provide expert legal assistance to handle any situation. Trust us for comprehensive services.

We are a leading law firm in the financial & business industries

Sagittis eu volutpat odio facilisis mauris sit. Nam aliquam sem et tortor consequat id porta. Nisl rhoncus mattis rhoncus urna neque. Consequat nisl vel pretium lectus quam id leo in vitae.

Real estate law
Health care law

Don't be an unsolved case. Claim your life

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.

Laculis nunc sed augue lacus viverra vitae congue eu. Aliquam sem fringilla ut morbi tincidunt augue. At elementum eu facilisis sed odio morbi quis commodo odio. Est velit egestas dui id ornare arcu odio ut sem.

What is the student visa?

When a foreigner has been living in Spain for a period of time, it is common for them to consider the question of how to obtain Spanish nationality, as this represents a significant advantage in many aspects.

In this article, we will explain the different ways to obtain Spanish nationality, but we will focus on the application for nationality by residency, as it is the most common procedure to obtain Spanish citizenship.

Spanish nationality application

The Spain student visa allows you to study or work part-time during your stay abroad. It is a residence authorization that enables non-EU citizens to remain in Spain while pursuing studies in public or private educational institutions, conducting research activities in the country, participating in training programs, unpaid internships, student exchanges, or volunteering services. They must obtain the corresponding visa, which includes the authorization to stay in Spain.

However, citizens of the EU are exempt from obtaining the visa as they do not need one. According to Article 44 of Royal Decree 557/2011, all students from the EU, EEA, or Switzerland can stay in Spain while studying without a visa. This also applies to accompanying family members after a joint application.

We provide you with all the latest information about studying in Spain and how to migrate safely.

Types of student visa

There are two different types of student visas for Spain depending on the duration of your course or studies:

  • Short-term Spain student visa (less than 3 months): Students from countries eligible for entry into Spain without a visa for up to 90 days can study a course without obtaining a student visa (provided that the course duration is less than 90 days).
  • Long-term Spain student visa (between 3 and 6 months): In addition to completing the visa application for studies, students must apply for a student residence card at an immigration office within one month of their arrival in Spain.

What is the duration of my student visa for Spain?

The expiration date of your card and the end of your course may not necessarily coincide.

Until now, it was one year. You could obtain a permit allowing you to stay in the country for a year. And, if you met the same requirements needed for the initial application, you could renew it year after year. That’s until you finish your study stay.

If your academic year lasts more than 6 months, you will be issued a residence card. But if it is shorter than that, you will only receive a stamp in your passport. That is, in this case, you will not receive any physical card.

Therefore, the duration will be equal to the period of the study stay in Spain.

Requirements for Spain student visa

  • Not being a citizen of a European Union state, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland, or a family member of citizens of these countries subject to the Union citizen regime.
  • Not being listed as inadmissible in the territorial space of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that effect.
  • In case of applying for authorization from Spain, being regularly in Spanish territory.
  • Having sufficient economic funds to support yourself in Spain for 1 or 2 years (depending on the duration of the stay) will be necessary. This will be assessed at 100% of the monthly IPREM, which is equivalent to about €600 per month.
  • Having private or public health insurance with full coverage in Spain.
  • You must be admitted to the course/university you plan to study at. This means that before starting the application, you must have received the acceptance letter issued by the educational institution.
  • Having a clean criminal record. For short-term study visas, you must also include round-trip plane tickets from and to your country of origin.
  • We recommend not making any payment until your visa is issued. For higher education such as a master’s or postgraduate degree, you will likely be asked for the homologation or validation of your university degree if you obtained it in your country of origin.

Documents required to process the Spain student visa

  • If the student is under 18 years old and is not accompanied by their parents, a legal authorization signed by them.
  • Medical certificate showing that the applicant does not suffer from any illness recognized by the International Health Regulations of 2005.
  • Your valid passport and a copy of it.
  • Documentation proving possession of sufficient economic funds.
  • Enrollment or document certifying that the academic institution where you study has accepted you and has a place for you for the next course. That is, the acceptance letter.
  • Filled EX-00 form.
  • Specific information about your accommodation or where you will live during your study stay in the country.

Can you work in Spain with a student visa?

It does not allow working; it is a study stay permit. You can do internships under an agreement with the educational institution. Once you have been granted the study stay permit, you can apply for a work permit for employed or self-employed work, which will be linked to your initial permit.

The internship hours can be a maximum of 20 per week.

In that sense, there are two types of internships:

On the one hand, there are curricular internships, related to your studies and often mandatory. Here you will need a signed agreement between the academic institution where you are studying and the company you will work for. You cannot use the income you earn here as a way to demonstrate possession of sufficient economic funds to support your life in the country. On the other hand, you can do extracurricular internships. Here things get a little more complicated, as your employer will have to apply for a work authorization from the corresponding Immigration Office.

Family members of students in Spain

The family members of the foreign student or researcher can accompany them on their trip. Family members are understood to be the spouse or common-law partner, children under 18, dependent children, or those with physical disabilities.

Family members must meet certain requirements listed below:

Proof of family ties with the student. Evidence of financial solvency. Notarized authorization from the parent who does not travel to Spain for the displacement of minor children with the requesting parent or guardian of the student visa.

To obtain the admission letter from a Spanish university, the applicant must make a formal request.